Today marks that 39th anniversary of Roe vs Wade, the decision of the Supreme court to legalize abortion. Even at the 39th year after the supreme court pass the law the decision is still under siege . Back in 1973 1.2 million (before the bill was passed) women were restricted from having abortions.
Six states are still considering laws that will ban abortions altogether. The states are Alabama, Louisiana, North Dakota , Ohio, Mississippi and Oklahoma (No surprise that most are RED STATES). Ohio is taking an extra step, by creating a bill called the “Heartbeat Bill” which would ban women from getting an abortion when the fetus’ heatbeat is heard, which is in the first-trimester . Other states have passed the “FETAL PAIN” law, which restricts a woman from aborting her pregnancy after 20 weeks of pregnancy (6months). During this time frame in a woman’s pregnancy the child is fully developed, which is why some Anti-Abortions activists think that the women should be charged with murder. Wade Vs Roe was passed to give a woman the right to choose what is best for her life and situation. But the Pro-life groups have created some strong arguments as to why a woman should not abort.
Pro-Life-Top Arguments Against Abortion
- Since life begins at conception, abortion is akin to murder as it is the act of taking human life.
- Adoption is a viable alternative to abortion and accomplishes the same result. And with 1.5 million American families wanting to adopt a child, there is no such thing as an unwanted child.
- An abortion can result in medical complications later in life.
- In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant. Abortion punishes the unborn child who committed no crime
- Abortion should not be used as another form of birth control
- Many Americans who pay taxes are opposed to abortion
- Those who choose abortions are often minors or young women with insufficient life experience to understand fully what they are doing. Many have lifelong regrets afterwards.
- Abortion frequently causes intense psychological pain and stress
Pro-Choice – Top Arguments For Abortion
- Nearly all abortions take place in the first trimester, when a fetus cannot exist independent of the mother.
- Human life occurs at conception, but fertilized eggs used for in vitro fertilization are also human lives and those not implanted are routinely thrown away. Is this murder, and if not, then how is abortion murder
- Adoption is not an alternative to abortion, because it remains the woman’s choice whether or not to give her child up for adoption.
- Abortion is a safe medical procedure. The vast majority of women – 88% – who have an abortion do so in their first trimester. Medical abortions have less than 0.5% risk of serious complications and do not affect a woman’s health or future ability to become pregnant or give birth.
- In the case of rape or incest, forcing a woman made pregnant by this violent act would cause further psychological harm to the victim
- Abortion is not used as a form of contraception. Pregnancy can occur even with responsible contraceptive use
- The ability of a woman to have control of her body is critical to civil rights. If the government can force a woman to continue a pregnancy, what about forcing a woman to use contraception or undergo sterilization?
- Taxpayer dollars are used to enable poor women to access the same medical services as rich women, and abortion is one of these services. Funding abortion is no different from funding a war.
- Teenagers who become mothers have grim prospects for the future. They more likely to leave school; receive inadequate prenatal care; rely on public assistance to raise a child; develop health problems; or end up divorced.
- Abortion creates stress, but the American Psychological Association found that stress was greatest prior to an abortion, and that there was no evidence of post-abortion syndrome.